Friday, March 18, 2016

Rahab: A Life Held By A String


We hear about the Israelites and the God in which they serve;
The men of Jericho have been preparing every weapon and man preserved.
We know the Israelite’s travels will bring them to our wall;
It is only a matter of time I know before our inevitable fall.

We have heard terrible things about this God and we all melt with fear;
The lands their God has conquered—to our eyes it brings tears.
The Lord dried the Red Sea before them to walk on dry land,
Burying the Egyptian’s horses, and chariots, deep in the sand.

Their terror has fallen on us, we have melted away before them,
The king of the Amorites destroyed, no courage remained in any men.
The Lord your God, He is God in heaven above and earth beneath;
I must know this God of Israel so to me He may bequeath,
Such favor, grace, and mercy, though I can but only hope,
My life now hangs in the balance of these men and a scarlet rope.

I long for a new life, very different from the one I lead here,
I pray that helping these spies will bring God’s favor and rid me of fear.
I long to be different to change my life into a story that sings;

I know not what the future will bring, it rests in this lone scarlet string.

©2012 Piper Green
Revised 2014

Published in A Life That Sings 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment