Monday, March 19, 2012

Hagar


I leave from Egypt to serve this woman and man
Torn from my home to wander in the wilderness sand
I have lived most of my life in this Egyptian Palace
Now I know not where I go or how I will find solace

I know not what this brand new journey will bring
I now wear the mark of this master’s bracelet and ring
I feel something different in this man and his wife
They will give me a fresh start a new lease on life

I have been happy serving my master and his household
But now I have been asked to do…it must go untold
How I am in distress-to lay with a man to bear him a child
How must my mistress long for a baby-her thoughts have run wild

I wake today with this baby growing inside of me
I cannot wait to see how he will look or who he will be
I feel him growing and moving I am soon to bring him forth
I will shout for joy from the hills, the east west south and north

I run to the desert my mistress seeks to take my life
All that is between us now is hate, turmoil and strife
He agreed to her plea to sends us away I am filled with grief
I am lost here my son and I hunger and thirst there is no relief

I left my son under the tree I can’t bear to watch him die
I don’t know what to do—we both can only cry
Who is this I see before my eyes, I cannot believe
That the God of Israel would care to show Himself to me

He promised me my son would live to be a prince of nations
The God of Abraham would come it was not an aberration
He led me to a well I named for Him the One that truly sees
I will never forget my encounter for His love runs so very deep
I will remember year after year and in my heart I will keep

The Lord came to me in the hour of my need
To bless my son and all who will be his seed
I give thanks to the God who sees forever
He will be with me through all that I endeavor
I didn’t know when I left Egypt what my life would bring
Now I met the God who sees and now I have a life that sings…

No comments:

Post a Comment